I recently came across an infographic by TextMarketer about the rise of text messaging for businesses. The infographic covers the industries that use business SMS, the global reach of mobile, the growth in mobile advertising budgets, and the rise of Application to Person (A2P) Messaging. I want to summarize a couple key points from the infographic:
Leading Industries Using Business SMS
- Recruitment (16.27%)
- Misc (15.59%)
- Software (10.17%)
- Marketing Agencies (9.49%)
- Retailers (8.81%)
Other industries using SMS services are Financial Services, Leisure, Estate Agencies, Beauty/Hair Salons, Education, Vehicle Dealerships, Dental/Optical, Fast Food, Councils, Legal, Restaurants and Travel Agents.
Of those industries, the ones that send the most business related text messages are:
- Leisure (24.30%)
- Misc (19.10%)
- Recruitment (17.70%)
- Retailers (13.20%)
- Software (8.10%)
Application to Person (A2P) Messaging:
A2P messaging occurs when a business contacts a customer. There are several industries that are already utilizing this type of SMS, and its future looks bright.
- Revenue from A2P Messaging will exceed $70 billion by 2016.
- By 2016, it is predicted that A2P messaging will surpass person-to-person messaging.
Connecting the Dots: Why Is SMS Important for Businesses?
Mobile is big. All signs are pointing toward text messaging as a successful marketing tactic for businesses, and here’s why:
- 87% of the world’s population has a mobile phone.
- 45% of customers notice mobile advertising.
- 29% of people respond to mobile advertising.
- Mobile marketing budgets are growing at a rate of 26% every year.
- Brand spending on mobile advertising will grow from 0.5% of the total advertising budget in 2010 to over 4% in 2015.
Businesses are starting to understand the value of SMS for their business, and many industries are on board. The reach of mobile is unprecedented, mobile marketing budgets are rising, and businesses are seeing great results from leveraging the power of SMS. Don’t let your business get left behind!